Saturday, August 13, 2016

Stacy's 10 Essentials


Stacy’s 10 Non-essentials Essentials
(read Karl's description as to why we are listing these)

Let’s count’em down:

#10: A real toothbrush. None of this small compatible (and breakable), foldable (and moldable), crappy travel sized toothbrushes. A real toothbrush that actually makes your mouth feel clean.

#9: My Thinx panties. Even though I have only needed to use this item 3 times so far this trip, each use my only regret when I wear them is that I did not buy more of these with me. Seriously ladies, if you don’t want to hike with pads or tampons (and the need to carry the waste out) these are key!

#8: Polarized Sunglasses. When you invest in well made sunglasses with UV protection and awesome polarization, you wonder why you wore the cheap dollar store sunglasses to begin with. *Huge shout out to Ruth and Donna who gave me a gift card to REI which went towards my current glamorous Tifosi sunglasses. 

#7: Bug Stuff: By bug stuff I mean Deet (current brand of choice is Jungle Juice), Bug Bam Mosquito Grid (for in the car), and AfterBite (because even with bug repellent lathered on like there is no tomorrow, I still get eaten alive).
And by extension: I am going to also add Una Wound Wonder: This salve has been a miracle worker for my skin. Healing the bites I have already itched, calming chafing spots after a long hike, clearing blemishes, soothing sunburn (especially, on my poor delicate lil nose), treating all the scratches and scrapes I get when climbing, hiking, and stumbling around, etc. This stuff is like Neosporin but better (worth the extra price) and smells nice too!

#6: Audio Books: The long drives have been made awesome by some of the books we have been listening too! Plus, they have been keeping us sane. Some of the book series we have listened to so far include Harry Potter, Game of Thrones, Ringworld, Eragon, LOTR and Enders Game.

#5: REI Flash Pack: this daypack has been put through SO much and yet has done SO well. It is one of those items I didn’t think about being necessary, but I have used it every single day of this trip so far. 

#4: My Asolos: I am in LOVE with this boots. In LOVE. I own the Women’s Asolo Fission GV Hiking Boots (in case you were wondering) and have had them for a good long while now and each time I put them on for a hike, I feel comforted. The support, strength, and stability of these boots are epic. And they have been put through A LOT with me and have done MANY miles… I know I will have to retire them before this trip is over and I am going to be devastated because they are just broken in so nicely!

#3: Buffs: Any and all buffs. I just counted and between Karl and I we currently have 4 UV half buffs, 2 original buffs, 2 wool buffs, and 1 polar reversible buff on this trip with us, and yet every time I see a buff at a store I consider buying more! Hat, headband, UV protection for ears, sweatband, ear warmer, neck warming, covering face from dust, pillow, eyeshade, sling/holster for camera, etc… We use these SO much.

#2: My DSLR camera and my telephoto lens. I don’t think I have to explain why this is essential for me… (You can admit it; you were all waiting for this one to be mentioned!) If you must know, I have a Canon Rebel SL1 and have 3 lenses for it but the telephoto that Karl got me for Christmas has been the one that has been key in capturing the wildlife photos you all have been seeing.


#1: Karl. It may be considered cheesy but I would not have been able to do ANY of what I am doing without him. He is my essential item, always.

<3 S

No comments:

Post a Comment

Well then...