Saturday, August 13, 2016

Karl's 10 Essentials


These posts are all filler for when we have nothing exciting to write about.  And by the way, I hope everyone has been getting our postcards...
Our buddy Matt asked us these interview-type questions in Glacier NP, and I figured it made good fodder.  What are our ten essentials?  Like, not the ten essential pieces of gear that one needs to survive emergencies outside, but what gear do we need to survive this trip and more importantly, each other...here are mine.  (And we're really trying not to just list the most expensive and tech REI schwag we own...really).

10.  Prana Zion
How can a guy love pants so much?  I cannot explain, you just have to own a pair.  They look professional when I need them to and casual when I don't. They stretch, are scotch-guarded, quik-dry, roll up,and have good pockets.  At $85 per, make sure you buy 7!  I did...

9.    Wet Wipes
You realize we don't have a shower hidden in the car, right?  Enough said.

8.    Polarized Sunglasses
Not everywhere has the wonderful sky cover that the 'Burgh has.  Some of you exports know this.  And sometimes driving for 5+ hours into a setting sun hurts you eyes.  So I went for prescription polarized Puma's.   Say that times times fast.  I obviously like them because in more than half the pictures on here, I'm wearing them.

7.    Non-Networked GPS
Yes, we have a road atlas and google maps.  What happens in the middle of nowhere without service off a forest road? I use a free GPS app called OSMand, which downloads the maps to my device for offline use.  It is only free for the first 10 maps you download, then you must pay.  Here is the secret, the map files it utilizes are open-source.  This means they are free online if you know where to look.  The only drawback is the 50 states take up over 30 Gb.

6.    My Asolo's
Re: My rant on footwear in the Canada post.  Your feet are your lively hood most of the time. Take care of them.  These are nice and stiff, so not for the light-hiker types.  What boggles my mind is the lack of delamination, scuffs, tears, etc.. These boots have been through hell and back and barely look used.  You don't need the same good footwear I have, just get good footwear.

5.    The Dualist and Pocket Rocket
We bought a big 2 burner stove anticipating a large dinner a few nights a week.  Because of how cumbersome the large stove is,  I find myself asking more and more of what is essentially meant to just boil water.  The stove and cook kit have taken everything I've thrown at them in stride.  The pot is large enough for 2 and I've even managed a few multi course dinners.

4.    Flash Pack
This is my default bag.  A man purse if you will.  But instead of makeup and sanitary napkins it contains bear spray, knives, lighters, rope, duct tape, lights, a first aid kit, and a bivy bag.  I usually have room for a rain shell, my Nalgene, and the days lunch too!  It's lasted about as long as the Asolo's so that's saying something.

3.    My ABC watch
Chuck hooked me up with a broken-banded, dead Suunto Core.  It is an Altimeter, Barometer, and Compass.  It is not life and death accurate, but it gets the job done by giving me more data.  I love data. Chuck, I love you man. 

2.    That Comfy Ass Mattress
There is no way in hell we planned on sleeping in the car on camping pads or some random chunk of foam.  I picked up a 4" poly full size mattress from Ikea, and topped it with 1.5" of cooling memory foam and it is sooo worth it.  I have changed my entire stratagem based on this mattress.  I spoke to some of yinz before we left about how the car was the tertiary sleep option behind pitching one of the two tents, or a hostel bed.  Nope, not anymore.  We are in the car around 80% of the nights, and only if we aren't back country.  It's that comfortable.

1.    Kirk 2's PSP
OK. Controversial number one.  Out of all the outdoor gear I have during an extended outdoor boondoggle, I pick a kids hand-held video game.  Yes.  I need my sanity.  If that means I have to fire up GTA and steal some cars and shoot NPCs, so be it.  Kirk2 predicted this before it even entered my mind.  We were having a few around the fire he asked me, "With all your preparation for the various scenarios of this trip, what are you going to do about video games?"  I didn't know how much I needed it until he placed it in my hands.  I don't play it all that often, but it is always the final step in regaining my zen.


And the honorable mentions.  I need Stacy.  I need family.  I need friends.  I need to meet new people and make new connections.  But those answers are all sappy and expected and you can't go buy those in the store.


-K

No comments:

Post a Comment

Well then...